Friday, April 2, 2010

The Birth Story





Mr. Joseph Sean was nice enough to wait until my parents got here to make his appearance. Like I said in an earlier post my parents got here early morning of the 7th of February. Joe and I usually have a date night on Saturday and since we knew we would have our baby before the 14th we celebrated Valentines day early. First, we parked our car.. and went to the 5th Avenue Mall in Anchorage. We walked and walked and walked around the Mall. As you can see we are one exciting couple! We decided that we would go to Build a bear workshop and make the baby a bear. I have never done that before so that was an interesting experience. We went to Gymboree. We then continued to walk. I was 38 weeks (almost 39) pregnant at the time.. and walking was KILLING ME. We decided that we would go to the Glacier Brewhouse for dinner. We had a gift card! So.. what did we do? We walked the 5 blocks or whatever it was to the Restaurant. Let me tell you, by the time we got there I was having regular contractions and I hurt SO bad. But, they went away. Joe and I shared the Prime Rib and Lobster dinner. I still think the best part of the meal was the Creme Brulee. Have you ever had it? I loved it! After the meal we had to walk back to the parking garage, but I REALLY didn't want to. So, Guess what was waiting outside the restaurant when we came outside? There was a horse drawn Carriage! We paid 15 bucks to go 5 blocks or whatever, but it was better than walking and dying or something. From the parking garage we went to Century 16. Its a movie Theater for all you non-Alaskans. We went and saw While in Rome. I liked the movie, it was pretty fun, and I had a good time. Joe probably didn't, but I did! By the time the movie was over we had to get over to the Airport to pick my parents up. I was so happy to see my parents! It was great being with them and having them here for 3 weeks. I wish they could have stayed longer! Anyways, we got back home to Wasilla around 2 am Sunday Morning. We didn't make it to church the next morning. It was at 9am. We had a pretty laid back day. I took a nap.. and I had a nice shower. Then around Dinner time I was having contractions again. These didn't go away. They grew in intensity. Around 10pm I finally decided that it wasn't false labor and we called the Hospital to let them know that we were coming. That car ride to the hospital seemed REALLY long with contractions coming about ever 2.5 and 3 minutes. And It was Snowing.. a lot. I got checked out at the hospital and they decided that I could stay since was 5-6 cm. They thought that since I was going so fast (it really didn't seem that fast!) that I might not get my epidural. BUT, I got it. -- Funny story... While I was getting my epidural my wonderful husband, JOE, FAINTED. Kinda great, right? I'm getting poked in the back, Joe falls into me.. and then I have a nice contraction while I'm trying to hold him up so he doesn't fall on the floor! Poor guy, I still tease him about that. -- And then everything kind of came at a slower pace. And then.. My blood pressure went REALLY LOW... and they gave me medication for that.. more than once. I think I got like 4 or 5 shots of that medication to bring my blood pressure back up to the Normal range. It all worked out though. I labored all night... I didn't get much sleep. My mom had previously taken a sleeping pill before she came to the hospital and was asleep on the couch in my room snoring away. That kept me up, but its all good! At around 8:05am (I think that's the time.. ) on February 8th I started pushing. I was pushing fine and everything... but then the baby's heart rate started to decel a little, so the doctor wanted him out a lot faster. After that it took 2 pushes and he was out. At this point I don't remember if Joe was watching cause he had to sit down a few times so he didn't faint again. He was 9lbs 11oz and 21 inches. He had the cord wrapped around his neck, but after the cord was gone he cried big time. Joe cut the cord.. AND didn't faint! He came out with MINIMAL DAMAGE! Yay! I had No problem sitting... or anything really. I had an easy recovery.

All in all, I do think the walking the day before really did help, even if it was killing me at the time. Sean is perfect. Hes a BIG boy, just the way we like 'em. He is a joy to have in our family and I for one look forward to watching him grow. This is seriously late, since hes supposed to be having his 2 month appointment next week!

1 comments:

Cheryl said...

That is a great story! I am glad that everything went well for you!!